Summary: pursuant to State Statutes, every municipality with a population of 5,000, but not more than 250,000, must appoint a Board of Fire and Police Commissioners (BFPC). Unlike other Village advisory boards the BFPC is not a recommending body; its authority rests in State Statutes. During each fiscal year, a Chairman and a Secretary are elected amongst his or her fellow Commissioners. The BFPC has adopted and operates pursuant to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the Village of Lake Bluff.
Term: 3 years.
Meetings: as needed in the Public Safety Building Conference Room (45 E. Center Avenue).
- Appoint Village Police Officers;
- Determine Police Officer testing procedures,
- Employ agencies to conduct Police Officer examinations;
- Formulate the Final Eligibility Register;
- Conduct promotional examinations; and
- Conduct hearings of charges, removals, suspensions, and discharges.
The BFPC does not appoint members of the Fire Department personnel due to the Fire Department's part-time volunteer status.· In no manner shall the BFPC make decisions as to the day-to-day operations of the Police Department.
- Craig Pierson, Chairman (Term as Chair expires 4/30/17 and term as Member expires 4/30/19)
Has served the BFPC since August, 2005.
- John Canty (Term expires 4/30/17)
Has served the BFPC since February, 2012.
- Edward Wynn (Term expires 4/30/18)
Has served the BFPC since January, 2006.
Staff Contact: David Belmonte, Police Chief 847-283-8688