The Lake Bluff Police want to remind residents that most burglaries are a crime of opportunity. Often burglars enter homes, businesses or vehicles through open or unlocked garages, doors or windows. The following tips are offered to help reduce the chances of becoming a victim:
- Make your home look occupied, and make it difficult to break in. Don’t leave bikes or other items which could be stolen sitting unattended in front yards or driveways.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
- Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day. Leaving a TV or radio on also makes it appear as if someone is home and awake.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked. Never leave the keys in your car, and place them somewhere safe when not being used.
- Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
- Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
- Other windows may need better locks. Check with a locksmith or hardware store for alternatives.
And just as important, always report suspicious people or vehicles by calling the Lake Bluff Police at 847-234-2151 or 9-1-1.